Hours & Admission
Merchant’s House Museum
The Merchant’s House was built in 1832 and purchased by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous New York City hardware merchant, in 1835. The Tredwell family continued to live in the landmark late-Federal and Greek revival style row house for nearly 100 years.
Visit five floors of period rooms furnished with the family’s original possessions – furniture, decorative objects, household goods, books, even their clothing. The secret 19th century rear garden is also open. You’ll see how a wealthy family and their four Irish servants lived in mid-19th century New York.
The Merchant’s House offers Self-Guided House Tours, Guided House Tours, and Walking Tours of 19th Century NoHo.
Visit the Museum
Self-Guided House Tours
Thursday, 1 to 8 p.m. (last entry 7:30 p.m.)
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m. (Last entry 4:30 p.m.)
Closed major holidays.
- All house tours are self-guided. (Scroll down for information about guided tours.)
- The museum comprises five floors accessed by stairs.
- Visitors should plan to spend 45-60 minutes on their tour.
- Docents are available to answer questions.
- Visitors may arrive any time during opening hours on their ticketed day.
- Admission $15 per person.
- MHM Members FREE. Click here to become a member.
- Reservations NOT required; walk-ins are permitted!
- The Museum accepts cash or credit cards ($20 minimum on all credit card charges).
Click here to purchase tickets for guaranteed entry on the ticketed day during regular museum hours.
Click here to purchase tickets for Summer Evenings in the Garden on Thursday evenings.
Guided House Tour
Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, 12 p.m.
On this 75-minute tour, led by an experienced guide, you’ll visit five floors of period rooms, as well as the rear garden.
$20, Members Free. Capacity strictly limited.
Click here for guided house tour tickets.
Members, enter code MEMBER at checkout for free admission for yourself and one guest.
Walking Tour of 19th Century Noho
Second & fourth Sunday of the month, 12:30 p.m. (March through November).
$20, Members FREE.
Click here for walking tour tickets.
Tour Policies & COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- Capacity is limited. If the museum reaches capacity, visitors may be asked to wait in the rear garden until indoor capacity has decreased.
- Face masks required. All visitors over age two are required to wear a mask on Museum property at all times, regardless of vaccination status. Staff is also required to wear masks.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout the Museum.
- Social distancing required. All visitors must adhere to social distancing requirements inside the museum. Please follow all directional signs, distance markers, and directions from staff.
- Large bags must be checked. Large bags (suitcases, backpacks, shopping bags, etc.) may not be carried inside the museum, and must be checked at the admissions desk.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have received a positive COVID-19 diagnosis, you must postpone to a later date, or cancel. The museum will offer to refund or exchange your tickets. Email email@example.com.
- The Merchant’s House is committed to the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and staff. Robust sanitizing and disinfecting efforts are in place. Restrooms and all high-touch surfaces are sanitized repeatedly throughout the day using NYS recommended disinfectants. Deep cleanings occur nightly.
- By visiting the Merchant’s House Museum, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- We reserve the right to deny entry to anyone not abiding by these guidelines to ensure the safety of our staff and other visitors.
Click here for information about Virtual Group Tours.