Hours & Admission
The Merchant’s House was built in 1832 and purchased by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous New York City hardware merchant, in 1835. The Tredwell family continued to live in the landmark late-Federal and Greek revival style row house for nearly 100 years.
Visit five floors of period rooms furnished with the family’s original possessions – furniture, decorative objects, household goods, books, even their clothing. The secret 19th century rear garden is also open. You’ll see how a wealthy family and their four Irish servants lived in mid-19th century New York.
The Merchant’s House offers Self-Guided House Tours, Guided House Tours, and Walking Tours of 19th Century NoHo.
Self-Guided House Tours
January to May, September to December:
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday,
1 to 5 p.m. (Last entry 4:30 p.m.)
June, July, August:
Thursday, 1 to 8 p.m. (Last entry 7:30 p.m.)
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m. (Last entry 4:30 p.m.)
Closed major holidays.
- All house tours are self-guided. (Scroll down for information about guided tours.)
- The museum comprises five floors accessed by stairs.
- Visitors should plan to spend 45-60 minutes on their tour.
- Docents are available to answer questions.
- General Admission: $15
- Seniors (over 65) & Students (with valid ID): $10
- MHM Members FREE. Become a member.
- The Museum accepts cash or credit cards ($20 minimum on all credit card charges).
- Groups larger than 8 people MUST schedule a private visit. Read more about Group Tours.
Guided House Tour
Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday,
On this 75-minute tour, led by an experienced guide, you’ll visit five floors of period rooms, as well as the rear garden.
$20, Members Free. Reservations required; capacity strictly limited.
Guided house tour tickets.
Members, enter code MEMBER at checkout for free admission for yourself and one guest.
Walking Tour of 19th Century Noho
Second & fourth Sunday of the month, 12:30 p.m. (March through November).
$20, Members FREE.
Walking tour tickets.
Tour Policies & COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- Reservations are required for the 12 p.m. guided tour.
- There are no reservations for self-guided visits.
- Groups larger than 8 people MUST schedule a private visit, booked at least two weeks in advance. Read more about Group Tours.
- For the safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers, proof of vaccination is required for all visitors age 5 and up to visit the Merchant’s House.
- Face masks required. All visitors over age two are required to wear a mask on Museum property at all times, regardless of vaccination status. Staff is also required to wear masks.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout the Museum.
- Large bags must be checked. Large bags (suitcases, backpacks, shopping bags, etc.) may not be carried inside the museum, and must be checked at the admissions desk.
- There is no smoking allowed on Museum property.
- The Merchant’s House is not air conditioned, and is not wheelchair-accessible. Read more about accessibility.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have received a positive COVID-19 diagnosis, you must postpone to a later date, or cancel. The museum will offer to refund or exchange your tickets. Email email@example.com.
- By visiting the Merchant’s House Museum, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- Merchant’s House staff and visitors have the right to an environment free from unsafe, threatening, or inappropriate behavior. We reserve the right to deny or revoke entry to anyone not abiding by these guidelines to ensure the safety of our staff and other visitors.
Merchant’s House Museum
Interested in visiting with a group larger than 8 people?