Hours & Admission
The Merchant’s House was built in 1832 and purchased by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous New York City hardware merchant, in 1835. The Tredwell family continued to live in the landmark late-Federal and Greek revival style row house for nearly 100 years.
Visit five floors of period rooms furnished with the family’s original possessions – furniture, decorative objects, household goods, books, even their clothing. The secret 19th century rear garden is also open. You’ll see how a wealthy family and their four Irish servants lived in mid-19th century New York.
The Merchant’s House offers Self-Guided House Tours, Guided House Tours, and Neighborhood Walking Tours.
Self-Guided House Tour
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
1 to 5 p.m. (Last entry 4:30 p.m.)
Closed major holidays.
- Visitors should plan to spend 45-60 minutes on their self-guided Tour.
- The museum comprises five floors accessed by stairs.
- Docents are available to answer questions.
(No reservations; purchase tickets at the door)
Guided House Tour
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday,
On this 75-minute tour, led by an experienced guide, you’ll visit five floors of period rooms, as well as the rear garden.
- General Admission: $20
- MHM Members FREE. Enter code MEMBER at checkout for free admission for yourself and one guest.
- Walk-ins permitted if space allows. The Museum accepts cash or credit cards.
- Groups larger than 10 people MUST schedule a private visit. Read more about Group Tours.
(Note: if you can only add one ticket to your cart, only one ticket is available for the selected tour.)
Neighborhood Walking Tour
Second & fourth Sunday of the month, 1:30 p.m. Third Saturday of the month, 1:30 p.m. (March through November). $20, Members FREE.
Walking tour tickets.
Tour Policies & COVID-19 Safety Protocols
Interested in visiting with a group larger than 10 people?