The Merchant’s House is “the real thing,” like no other. Book your Private Group Tour now.
“As if the family has just stepped out” “Feels like time travel”
“A gem of a tour” “Meticulously preserved” “One of a kind”
TripAdvisor.com visitor reviews
- Private Guided Tours are available Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. or 11 a.m.
- Reservations are required for all guided tours, and must be booked at least two weeks in advance.
- The Museum does not have an elevator. Visitors must climb several flights of stairs. The Museum is not air-conditioned.
- Minimum group size 8 people.
- Maximum group size 30 people.
- A 50% deposit (refundable up to one week before your tour) is required to confirm your reservation.
- Masks and proof of vaccination are required to visit the Merchant’s House.
Want to visit the museum from the comfort of your own home? Schedule a private virtual tour! It’s the perfect way to hang out remotely with family, friends, or colleagues and explore history while social distancing.
- Virtual Tours must be booked at least two weeks in advance.
- Virtual Tours can be scheduled weekdays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Weekends or Evenings by special arrangement.
- $150 for groups up to 30 people.
- $200 for groups of 31-60 people.
- $250 for groups of 61-100 people.
- Pre-payment is required. Fee is refundable up to one week before your tour.
In-Person Tour Options
Life at Home in Old New York House Tour
Discover what daily life was really like for a wealthy merchant-class family and their Irish servants in the mid-19th century, when New York City evolved from a seaport to a thriving metropolis. The tour covers four floors of period rooms and the secret 19th century rear garden in this landmark late-Federal and Greek revival style rowhouse. 60-75 minutes. $20 general admission, $15 seniors/students.
Walking Tour of 19th Century Noho
Join us for a journey back in time to the elite ‘Bond Street area,’ home to the Tredwells, who lived in the Merchant’s House. You’ll see how the neighborhood surrounding the Tredwells’ home evolved from a refined and tranquil residential enclave into a busy commercial center. Visit important 19th century landmark buildings on this tour through 21st century NoHo. 60 minutes. $20 general admission, $15 seniors/students.
House & Walking Tour Combo
Tour both the Museum and the neighborhood for a complete picture of life in mid-19th century New York City. 120 minutes. $35 general admission, $25 seniors/students.
In the Footsteps of Bridget Murphy:
The Life of an Irish Servant
This “back-stairs” tour tells the heroic story of the Irish women who worked in domestic service in 19th century New York. You’ll visit four floors of period rooms, from the ground floor kitchen to the 4th floor servants’ quarters, experiencing what daily life was really like for the Tredwells’ Irish servants. 75-90 minutes. $22 general admission, $17 seniors/students.
At the Tredwells’ Table:
A Culinary Tour of the Merchant’s House
This unique tour focuses on the culinary customs of mid-19th century New York, including favorite foods, cooking methods, dining etiquette, and entertaining. From grocery shopping and cookbook authors, to elaborate dinner parties and receptions, to the Irish servants’ experiences with food, this tour provides an unparalleled look at the Tredwells’ culinary world. 75-90 minutes. $22 general admission, $17 seniors/students.