Hours & Admission
In accordance with guidance provided by New York City and New York State, the Merchant’s House Museum is open by appointment.
Merchant’s House Museum
The Merchant’s House was built in 1832 and purchased by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous New York City hardware merchant, in 1835. The Tredwell family continued to live in the landmark late-Federal and Greek revival style row house for nearly 100 years.
Visit four floors of period rooms furnished with the family’s original possessions – furniture, decorative objects, household goods, books, even their clothing. The secret 19th century rear garden is also open. You’ll see how a wealthy family and their four Irish servants lived in mid-19th century New York.
Visit the Museum
Saturday and Sunday, 12 to 5 p.m.
Closed major holidays.
Tours self-guided. Docents are available to answer questions.
Tours on the hour: 12, 1, 2, 3, and 4 p.m.
Click here to book your visit.
Tours must be booked at least 48 hours in advance.
Walk-ins are permitted, depending on capacity.
Members, email email@example.com to schedule your tour.
Walking Tour of 19th Century Noho
Second & fourth Sunday of the month, 12:30 p.m. (March through November).
Click here for walking tour tickets.
Tour Policies & COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- Tour capacity is limited to 6 guests.
- Tours are self-guided. Docents are available to answer questions.
- Guests are allowed one hour inside the museum and visit five floors accessed by stairs.
- Only 6 guests are permitted inside the museum at a time.
- Early arrivals may be asked to wait outside until the scheduled appointment time. Guests arriving more than 20 minutes late may receive a shortened tour or be denied entry. We will make every effort to reschedule your tour but cannot guarantee availability.
- All visitors over age two are required to wear a face covering on Museum property. Face coverings must be worn at all times, must reach above the nose, below the chin, and completely cover the mouth and nose, and must fit snugly against the sides of the face. Staff is also required to wear face coverings.
- All visitors must agree to a touch-free temperature check upon arrival. Visitors who receive a reading of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will be asked to visit another day.
- All visitors are required to wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon arrival. A hand sanitizer station is available at the entrance and exit of the Museum.
- All visitors must adhere to social distancing requirements while inside the museum. Please follow all directional signs, distance markers, and directions from staff.
- Large bags (suitcases, backpacks, shopping bags, etc) are not permitted inside the museum. There is no coat room or bag check. Visitors with large bags may be denied entry.
- If, within 14 days of your tour, anyone in the group is experiencing fever, cough, shortness of breath, or other COVID-19 symptoms, has received a positive COVID-19 diagnosis, or has been out-of-state, you must postpone to a later date, or cancel. The museum will offer a refund or exchange your tickets at no cost to you.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
- The Merchant’s House is committed to the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and staff. Robust sanitizing and disinfecting efforts are in place. Restrooms and all high-touch surfaces are sanitized repeatedly throughout the day using NYS recommended disinfectants. Deep cleanings occur nightly.
- By visiting the Merchant’s House Museum, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- We reserve the right to deny entry to anyone not abiding by these guidelines to ensure the safety of our staff and other visitors.
Click here for information about Virtual Group Tours.